Visa Information UK

Please note that from 6 April, 2015 PTE Academic cannot be used to prove English language ability as part of a UK visa application. Tests taken on or before 5 April, 2015 will continue to be accepted by the UK Home Office until 5 November, 2015.

  • PTE Academic continues to be accepted by many UK universities and institutions. If you are applying for a Tier 4 student visa at degree or post-graduate level in the UK, you may be able to use PTE Academic to prove your English ability at your chosen institution and receive a CAS. Read below for more information
  • These changes do not affect the use of PTE Academic for study or visa applications to other countries, including Ireland, Australia, Canada and the USA.
  • These changes do not affect the use of PTE Academic by people from: the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland. You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you can show you’re a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA.

Please note, for the Science without Borders UK program, you can only use PTE Academic if you took your test before April 6th, 2015 and are joining a course that starts in 2015.

Click each item below for more information.

When will this decision come into effect and how will it affect test takers?

PTE Academic tests taken on or before April 5th, 2015 can be used for UK visa applications until 5th November 2015.

Any PTE Academic tests taken after April 6th, 2015 will not be accepted as part of the UK visa application process.

Will you offer any refunds to tests already taken or vouchers purchased?

We will assess each application on a case by case basis. For more information, contact

How can PTE Academic be used for UK university and visa applications?

In the UK, any approved Higher Education Institution (HEI) can use PTE Academic to assess a student’s level of English as part of a Tier 4 application (studying at degree level and above). Provided the applicant achieves B2 level English, PTE Academic can be used as part of a visa application.

How does this work?

When students apply for a Tier 4 student visa at degree level or above they must submit the following documents to the Home Office:

  • a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from an approved HEI (Higher Education Institute)
  • proof that they can support themselves financially.

They don’t need to prove their English language ability, because in order to receive a CAS, students must prove to the HEI that they can speak, read, write and listen in English, at a minimum B2 level (PTE Academic score 51).

The HEI can choose its own method of assessing student’s English language ability. The test used does not need to be included on the Home Office approved  SELT list.

Therefore,  a student who has achieved minimum PTE Academic 51 and applied to a university that accepts PTE Academic, can receive a CAS, which enables them to apply for a Tier 4 (degree level and above) visa.

Find out more information online.

What is the score required for B2 level English?

To achieve B2 English with the UK Home Office, test takers must receive:

Overall score: 51

With minimum scores for each component of:

Reading: 51

Listening: 51

Writing: 51

Speaking: 51

Will you continue operating as normal?

Yes. PTE Academic operations in the UK and the rest of the world will continue as normal and test takers can still access flexible test dates, fast test results and secure scores.