Pearson is devoted to supporting research in the field of English language testing and assessment.
We have an expanding programme of collaboration with external researchers in universities all over the world.
We are conducting a research program, using independent researchers, to inform the development and validation of PTE Academic. A Technical Advisory Group, comprising experts from both language testing and psychometrics, also provides feedback, advice and critical assessment.
Our in-house research includes:
- Developing item writer guidelines derived from the CEF
- Relating item difficulty and lexical cohesion
- The Pearson International Corpus of International English (PICAE)
- Developing marking criteria based on the CEF
- Investigating the effect of partner scores in paired oral assessment
- Assessing academic English listening
- Concordance studies (relating PTE Academic scores to predictions of scores on other high stakes tests)