Who is this test for?
This test is designed to motivate and reward young learners who have achieved an elementary command of English and who are in advance of Quickmarch. The Breakthrough exam includes all elements of the Firstwords, Springboard and Quickmarch syllabi. Learners at this level who are aged 14 or over, may prefer to do PTE General - Level 1.
How is this test structured?
The test consists of a single paper that lasts 1 hour and 15 minutes and tests Listening, Reading and Writing. There is also a speaking test. The tasks in the test, feature the Brown family and include some of the following topics:
- The Senses
- Spare time
- The Body and Appearance
- Animals and Pets
Test takers will listen to two passages and will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Listen to a conversation and put a cross (X) in the box under the correct picture for each answer.
- Listen to a conversation and write a short answer to the questions.
Integrated Language Tasks
Test takers will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Read a short conversation and write in the missing questions.
- Match pictures and text by drawing a line between the picture and the appropriate text for that picture.
- Put into a short text the missing words using words of their own choice.
Test takers will be required to write 80-100 words on one of the following:
- A narrative based on picture prompts.
- A postcard
The children will be tested in class by an external assessor. They will be asked to participate in a board game and an individual activity. For further information about the oral component for Breakthrough please click here.